Information Technology - Computer Programming - Source Code - Homebrew - Open Source - Software - Hardware - 8 bit - 16 bit - 32 bit - 64 bit - x86 - x64 - DOS - Windows - Linux - Arduino - Embedded - Development - Retro - Vintage - Math - Science - History - Hobby - Beginners - Professionals - Experiment - Research - Study - Fun - Games

New language under development.

Updates about our products and services.
admin
Site Admin

New language under development.

Post by admin »

Commando Basic is a new programming language that is under development. It's a BASIC to token translator and interpreter with a simple IDE. The interpreter exe is separate from the translator, therefore it's small and fast. Much faster than Craft Basic which isn't tokenized and has everything packed into one to be a sandbox experience.

You will be able to generate .tok files which may run with the interpreter through the command line or by association.You will also be able to "bind" .tok to the interpreter in the same way as Craft Basic .run files or Just Basic .tkn (by Shoptalk Systems). By renaming the exe to the same name as the tokenized file. The interpreter is very small (few hundred kb) so while it's nowhere near as powerful as Just Basic, it might suit someone's needs.

Development started with QuickBasic. I ported it to EBasic and it was slower than QBasic. Don't know Why. Tried IWBasic. Same.
Then I took the QuickBasic source and compiled it with FreeBasic -lang qb and suddenly it's super fast again.

I'm torn. EBasic and IWBasic are good, but FreeBasic is giving me the speed that I need for this project. So for now, the interpreter and translator are in FreeBasic and the IDE is in EBasic/IWBasic.

I also plan to give OxygenBasic a try.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New language under development.

Post by admin »

This product is still under development. I have taken a new job recently, so production is going a bit slower.

So far, we have the IDE, interpreter, tokenizer, examples, help manual, and a how to program book. I'm mostly working on editing the book and manual.

The book is going to be called "Crash Course in Computer Programming with Commando Basic" and is intended to teach absolute newbies how to program in BASIC.

So far, the interpreter is much faster than Craft Basic. I had some design challenges, but I have managed to implement as many features into the language as possible.